Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Bronze Hoards - Is there a Central Source of Detailed Data?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Does anyone know of a central source (or sources) of data on Byzantine Bronze hoards

By "detailed," I mean the following at a minimum:
-- Specific location where each hoard was found
-- Approximate date for each hoard (when it was buried)
-- Number of coins by type (SBCV number)

Thanks!

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
Re: Byzantine Bronze Hoards - Is there a Central Source of Detailed Data?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 12:54:52 pm »
What do you mean by "central source"? A digital database? Printed works?
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:03:31 pm »
Thanks for asking.

By "central source," I mean that I'm hoping at least some of the hoard data has been collected into one place that's accessible online.  The next best thing would be to at least have a list of hoard finds with references to where you can get the detailed information (such as books, publications, etc). 

Kevin

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:57:18 pm »
Right now there's no online database for hoards or Byzantine coin finds in general. I'm involved in a project directed by Princeton and we hope to have a significant database available for the public in the near future.

http://coinage.princeton.edu/

In the meantime you can use the following works covering the early Byzantine period:

C. MORRISSON, V. POPOVIĆ & V. IVANIŠEVIĆ, eds., Les trésors monétaires byzantins des Balkans et d'Asie Mineure (491-713), Paris, 2006.
H.-C. NOESKE, Münzfunde aus Ägypten I. Die Münzfunde des ägyptischen Pilgerzentrums Abu Mina und die Vergleichsfunde aus den Diocesen Aegyptus und Oriens vom 4.-8. Jh. n. Chr., Berlin, 2000.
G. BIJOVSKY, Gold coin and small change: monetary circulation in fifth-seventh century Byzantine Palestine, Trieste, 2012.
E. ARSLAN (ed.), Repertorio dei ritrovamenti di moneta Altomedievale in Italia (489-1002). http://www.ermannoarslan.it/Repertorio/index.php
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 11:42:18 am »
Thanks a lot for letting me know about these great resources!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity