Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Sever from Lydia (Saitta)  (Read 118 times)

Offline Orpio

• Consul
Septimius Sever from Lydia (Saitta)
« on: February 12, 2024, 11:16:01 am »
Hi,
I'm looking for any reference to below coin. I know that it is coin was struck in Lydia, in city Saitta. On the obverse is Septimius Sever(?) and legend but not clearly. On the reverse is very rare god Mên with Phrygian cap, with pine cone and on the his shoulders is moon crescent.
I think coins from Saitta mine with Mên and times of Septimus Sever,  that are very rare and can't find any reference.

Obv:  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon: :dot: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Iota: :dot: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Pi: :dot: C :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Omicron:[...] :Greek_Omicron: :dot: C  :dot: :Greek_Pi: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Rho:

Rev:  :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Pi_3: :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Iota: [....]
and letters:
 :Greek_Tau:   :Greek_Eta:   
:Greek_Nu: :Greek_Omega:   :Greek_Nu:

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Septimius Sever from Lydia (Saitta)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 11:57:11 am »

Kurth GRPC SAI 85 = BMC 42-43, SNGvAulock 3098, Mio iv 618 etc.

Pekka K

Offline Orpio

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 06:49:26 am »
Dear Pekka, you are the best.  ;D
Chapeau bas.

Could you send me one page where is mentioned this coin?

Thank you again,
Piotr

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 06:56:24 am »

Offline Orpio

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 07:01:38 am »
THANKS! +++

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 08:50:48 am »
... Here is BMC 42: ...
In fact it seems to be number 43 on page 220 because of the layout of the reverse legend: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/BMC/BMC_Lydia.pdf#page=372&zoom=auto,-304,597

Another reference is Waddington 5176 with a less detailed description: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k399052q/f337.item
which is probably this coin from Paris: https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb41784088p

Regards

Altamura

Offline Orpio

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 12:56:32 pm »
Dear Altamura,

thank you for your reply, yes BMC 43 is correct. In BMC 42 is missing letter T and H on the reverse.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity