Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Increasing Contrast  (Read 803 times)

Offline Laird B

• Praetorian
Increasing Contrast
« on: February 06, 2015, 11:39:48 am »
Hi I'm new to coin cleaning and I have a small Greek (I believe) coin that after removing the dirt has a very even light green patina.  If the coin is wet and with side lighting you can a fairly clear outline of a bust on the obverse and some detail on the reverse.  However, once the coin is dry it is almost impossible to see anything.  The coin is quite worn but if I could figure out how to maintain the contrast I'm sure it could be identified.  Is there a method to increase the contrast by darkening the overall patina (I've read about the JAX products for doing this)?  It seems that a process like inking and wiping a plate for intaglio printing might work but I don't want to ruin whatever chance I have of ID'ing this.

Thanks for your help.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Increasing Contrast
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 03:17:12 am »
Yup.  Renn wax and then buffing with a cloth or felt dremel wheel.  Won't do miracles but it can help in this kind of case.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity