Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Egyptian AE15 cast Tessera baboon  (Read 79 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Unknown Egyptian AE15 cast Tessera baboon
« on: March 11, 2024, 12:34:33 pm »
My apologies for the poor image.  It has proved incredibly difficult to photograph.

I can’t place this coin.  I find some lead Tessera Hermopolis Parva.  They show Head of Zeus-Ammon right and a Baboon (Thoth) seated right.  This coin is bronze.  I can see a head of Zeus-Ammon right. The reverse is similar to the Baboon (Thoth) seated right. Milne 5347-52

I find only one reference to PTOLEMAIUS IX SOTER Anonymous. AE-16mm. This is a similar obverse but the reverse is deferent. This states - "Probably imperial. Ammon's head with ram's horns right. Rev: Horus Falcon stands left, in front of it Sistrum. 5347 ff. SNG COP."    I have added two others that appear to be Horus Falcon separately to the this forum.

Any observations would be appreciated.  Thanks
14.5-15.3mm, 1.8gr & axis 12hr 

Offline Adam P

• Legionary
Re: Unknown Egyptian AE15 cast Tessera baboon
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 04:52:42 pm »
Hi @Connect14,

Svoronos listed these as his #1917 as cast barbarous imitations. I believe these are now thought to be regular issue later AE from Ptolemaic Cyrenaica. Lorber's CPE II (still in preparation) should clear this up. The English translation for Svoronos 1917 is attached.

- Broucheion

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Re: Unknown Egyptian AE15 cast Tessera baboon
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 11:30:30 am »
Great thanks Adam,
My coins don’t match but there’s certainly of the same type.
I’ll look out for Svoronos #1917 and Lorber’s Coins of the Ptolemaic Empire updates on these unusual coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity