Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SALONINA  (Read 898 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
SALONINA
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:59:34 pm »
Just got back home and had recieved some new (old) coins.  Among them

Obv: SALONINA AVG, diademed draped bust right on crescent
Rev: CERERI AVG, Ceres seated left holding corn ears & torch, branch in ex.

Now in the RIC I could find no branch in the exegue.  In Wildwinds, I found the coin with some info that I find slightly confusing

It is a variation of Salonina RIC Va 090, except
that it has a palm branch in the exergue.  Beast noted the following: Notes
from Steve Coulter: Gobl 1637e, 11th emmission, Antioch mint. Elks, 4th
emission (of sole reign), Cyzicus mint - lists 3 specimens in Hoard B.

So are they calling it an Antioch or Cyzicus mint
The RIC V_a, 90 is the only Cereri Avg listed and they list nothing in Exe.

Any thoughts on -un-confusing this poor soul.  Thanks Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
Re: SALONINA
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:34:24 pm »
Interesting I had not  read the Cyzicus Mint comment- I had mine down as:
Ric 90variant (RIC shows no exergue markings for this issue); Gobl 1637e from Antioch
Mine is not as nice as yours  :'(

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=924&pos=13

Offline smendes

• Consul
  • ODERINT DVM METVANT
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:55:07 pm »
Hi both,

As I have not any information to choose between the two hypothesis about mints, the only complementary information I could give to you is the Cohen Nr : 22 and picts of my own sample.
Any definitive information welcome !  ::)
Smendes

black-prophet

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:48:50 pm »
I don't know that this will help clarify anything, but it gives me a chance to show this interesting Gallienus with Cereri reverse (unlisted and probably a mule).Maybe the style will help with mint attribution for Salonina as well.My two cents-I usually rely on Gobl for Gallienus or Salonina as he seems the most knowledgeable authority on these coins.

Offline Postumus14

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:39:21 am »
I believe that Elks is the only recently published expert that attributes the coin type to Cyzicus.  I am fully convinced that it is of the Antioch mint.

black-prophet, did you purchase your coin in a small lot on ebay approximately one year ago?  If not, I recall seeing (and bidding on) a similar mule around that time.  Does your coin have the typical intersecting lines of the chair in the left field area?  I believe that I can see a faint outline of them on your coin.  If not, that would be unusual for the Salonina Cereri Avg type.

The obverse legend and obverse portrait of Gallienus are typical of the Antioch mint at the time of the Salonina Cereri Avg issue.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 12:43:48 pm »
Yes, both these coins are of the Antioch mint. Gobl lists the Salonina under no 1637e. Black-prophets coin is indeed a mule, reverse of Salonina 1637m, without the palmbranch in ex.
Regards
Gert

black-prophet

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:56:42 am »
Postumus-yes it was from that batch, June 1st to be exact.I'm glad you didn't go too much higher I was running out of room ;).I thought I saw some faint lines in the photo, but now looking at 10x mag.at the actual coin,I don't see the lines at all and considering that it is a pretty well struck coin with decent fields I have my doubts that they were ever there.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity