Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 1804 Ensign Flag  (Read 2267 times)

Offline El Reye

• Consul
1804 Ensign Flag
« on: February 14, 2011, 10:22:41 pm »
I was hoping to find more information about this British Ensign Flag. I've done some online research but have been unable to find an ensign flag with a crown. And the date handwritten on the flag " April 16 1804 ?" does not appear to have any historical significance.
Any help or insight into the origins or history of this flag is much appreciated.

Cameron
“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.”
Aesop   Greek slave & fable author (620 BC - 560 BC)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: 1804 Ensign Flag
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:24:09 pm »
A very interesting artefact! It is of course a red ensign used by the Royal Navy and the merchant navy, also called a 'red duster'. A crown used on a union flag signified that it was used by a British consulate. I don't know if that applies when it was part of a red ensign. Prior to 1801, the union flag and hence also the red ensign did not have the St. Patrick's cross - the diagonal red cross - so the dating of this flag is not long after the change, if that has any significance.

The flag looks as if it has been in a battle, but that may just be the result of age. I don't know of any naval battles on 16th April 1804, although Britain and Spain were at war in 1804 (although it didn't start officially until October there had been attacks on Spanish ships before then). Maybe try the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:45:33 pm »
Thank you  Peter for the information. It has also dawned on me that the date might refer to the date of acquisition.

Cameron

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:16:16 pm »
Still hoping for some definitive information, as it appears quite unusual for a crown to be used on this type of flag. Additionally this flag was used/recovered in the colonies (America).

Cameron

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:02:20 pm »
Have you tried the National Maritime Museum (UK)? This page http://www.nmm.ac.uk/researchers/library/research-guides/flags/ give links to 2 research guides.
There is also a link to The Flag Institute http://www.flaginstitute.org/ which might be of use.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:44:26 pm »
Thanks for the lead Peter,
 I've tried a few different universities and a vexillology blog, so far

All coins are guaranteed for eternity