Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An interesting " Old Style" transistional type Owl  (Read 1299 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
An interesting " Old Style" transistional type Owl
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:50:50 pm »
For all you "Old style" fans.  I came across this on my" travels"

I lifted the pic & description:I do hope that's OK!

UNIQUE AND HIGHLY IMPORTANT COIN LINKING ATHENIAN WAPPENMUNZEN AND OWLS. ATTICA, ATHENS, c. 515-510 BC. AR fraction, 0.87 gm., Unpublished, Sear_, SNG Copenhagen_, Plant_, SNG ANS_. Head of bull facing/Owl stg. l. AQE to l., olive berry to r., all within incuse square. F. An extremely interesting coin. The obverse bucranium is well known on the "Wappenmünzen" series of ca. 545-515 BC (cf. Svoronos, Corpus of the Ancient Coins of Athens, pl. 1, 45) but here the reverse is consistently a diagonally divided incuse square. The first "owls" with a head of Athena on obverse appear to have been introduced about 510 BC (cf. Svoronos pl. 2, 54-9 for fractions with a reverse type similar to this piece), but there seems to be no other known example of an overlap of types between these two distinct series. My thanks to David Sear for the attribution. UNIQUE AND HIGHLY IMPORTANT, ONLY ONE EXAMPLE KNOWN

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity