Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Annia Faustina  (Read 125 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Annia Faustina
« on: April 19, 2024, 03:33:52 am »
Recently I saw a lot of roman coins on [REMOVED BY ADMIN] that contained an Annia Faustina denarius. As far as I know it's extremely rare, only 5 coins are known, 2 of them in museums. This coin looks odd. Unfortunately the seller provided only one photo.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Annia Faustina
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 06:30:58 am »
I suspect it’s not authentic. All those coins have what looks like identical fake green patina, and if it were a real AF, the account would be in a marquis auction by itself.

The last one sold in 2009 for $62,500.

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 07:04:07 am »
Very often lots are sold "as is, no return possible". So if a buyer who thought to have made a bargain (but paid too much regarding the value of the other coins) later discovers that the AF is a fake he won´t get back his money..

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 09:37:40 am »
In this case, it is difficult to believe the seller does not know the coin is fake. It is dishonest if it is not noted in the description.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 08:02:18 am »
Not saying this is the case, but sometimes, sellers will throw in a fake rare/expensive coin in a common authentic lot of coins.
Can you spot the fake in these lots:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity