Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NERO SESTERTIUS TEMPLE OF JANUS  (Read 596 times)

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
NERO SESTERTIUS TEMPLE OF JANUS
« on: April 19, 2022, 08:52:11 am »
I found this coin in an old collection I picked up, I am sure its cast copy, weight is 24.71g and 35mm.Interestingly the wear points are exactly where you would hold the coin between thumb and finger.
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: NERO SESTERTIUS TEMPLE OF JANUS
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 11:26:43 am »
With the coin in hand and for educational purpose, please explain the reasons that convinced you your coin is a cast.
DT

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 11:54:27 am »
Thats a good question and really do not know the answer to that one.It was in a small album of coins that contained a lot of 4th cent LRBS and some Paduans and other fake copies such as WRL.This did have one or two decent coins. The auction house auctioned off a bunch of coins I think from the same collection individually as it would seem odd they would miss one. As if its legit its an unusually nice exmple. So that's why I am not so sure..Any insight help appreciated. At worst I could send it to David Sear to verify I have done that in the past.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 05:09:52 pm »
The reverse does have a soft and soapy look.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 06:29:14 pm »
As if its legit its an unusually nice exmple.

Even if I think the patina looks artificial on the reverse side, I have to admit we rarely see the top of the temple with so many details.
DT

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 07:21:05 pm »
I agree I have never seen one with so much detail either, weight and size is good and wear points are in the right place but just get the feeling its not quite well

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 10:36:34 pm »
Tooled, especially the reverse?
What does the edge look like?

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 02:58:26 am »
I think also the price of the coin is an indication that it might be not genuine. Even in 1972 5 GBP were very cheap for a genuine sestertius in this condition.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 08:26:13 am »
Did you look for a similar coin on the fake coin reports? If cast, and it seems likely but not at all certain from the photos, I would expect to find duplicates.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 10:03:49 am »
I did not find a match in fake coin reports. One does come up quite often I saw bust right this is left and some difference. The edge looks fine no sign of a seam as if its cast. I did consider the purchase price that would be 50 pounds today. That was 5 weeks' worth of pocket money for me back then. As to price it could be that some just underpriced it if its genuine and not what they normally would sell who knows.This is a tough one I might just send to David Sear see what he says as I have done that in the past.My gut feeling is it's a copy but do not want to condemn it until I know for sure.As mentioned the wear pattern on the temple is exactly where by thumb and fingers go when you hold it and it would take some time to wear down that amount.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity