Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus Denarius  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Charles S

• Consul
Augustus Denarius
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:28:34 am »
I have had a denarius in my collection since nearly 20 years, bought in Oxford in 1994 for £50.  I thought it was OK at the time, but I'm more and more worried that it is actually a cast modern fake.  Scans of obverse and reverse are attached.  I tried to compare with the photos from the fake coin reports, but could not find a match. 

AR Denarius (3.6g, 19mm, 5h) Obv. Legend not clearly legible (should be CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE)
Rev. C L CAESARES AVGVST(I F COS DESIG PRIN)C IVVENT, Caius and Lucius Caesars standing, shields and spears between them.

Would appreciate your opinion on this.

Charles
Charles Schotman

My gallery

petier

Re: Augustus Denarius
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:58:13 am »
this is not a cast

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:12:09 pm »
That's quite interesting! Here's a denarius I bought in Oxford (from a little shop on the High Street) for £50 in 1987 or 1988. I'm pretty sure this is a fake.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »
this is not a cast

I don't dispute your expertise but I would like to know what you have based your conclusion on.  All of the weights and measurements are OK for this issue but there is a haziness throughout the strike that seems to indicate that it might be cast.  I will be interested to read more opinions.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:50:08 pm »
It doesn't look cast to me either.
Andreas Reich

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 03:32:18 pm »
ditto. looks fine. a good buy in 1987.

(edit: confused by two different coins - I was referring to the second coin only. I recognise that there are different views on this thread)

petier

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 03:33:06 pm »
this is not a cast

I don't dispute your expertise but I would like to know what you have based your conclusion on.  All of the weights and measurements are OK for this issue but there is a haziness throughout the strike that seems to indicate that it might be cast.  I will be interested to read more opinions.

my conclusion is based on a trained eye, the photos are really nice high resolution and it is very clear that there cannot be any suspicion  of casting.

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »
this is not a cast

my conclusion is based on a trained eye, the photos are really nice high resolution and it is very clear that there cannot be any suspicion  of casting.

I'm positively surprised, but happy with your conclusion and I accept it with joy and gratitude.   If possible, I'd like to learn more about how this can be concluded from the scan and photo above, but meanwhile I will add my denarius to my personal gallery without further hesitation.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »
I'm not condeming them, but, personally, can not say with confidence from these photos that either of these coins is genuine. I have seen casts that were near impossible to detect even under a microscope. I cannot confidently authenticate coins like these from pics. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

petier

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:53:43 pm »
the second one is for sure fake, most likely some kind of pressed type.
but the first one is as genuine as can be , you don't need it in hand the photo is good enough to see it.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »
the second one is for sure fake, most likely some kind of pressed type.
but the first one is as genuine as can be , you don't need it in hand the photo is good enough to see it.

The second coin, if fake is not pressed. The second coin, if fake (and I do suspect it), is certainly cast.  

Your second comment should say, "I don't need it in hand..."  Because if "you" means me, I have already said I do need to see it in hand.

Perhaps you have had more experience handling fakes than I have?  You are on our list of notorious fake sellers, right? Serdico? Alexandriacoins? Imperatorial?

If not, you have a remarkably similar email address.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity