Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pottery from Ancient Israel - Created with ChatGPT  (Read 163 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Pottery from Ancient Israel - Created with ChatGPT
« on: June 15, 2023, 12:52:22 pm »
New NumisWiki page - Pottery from Ancient Israel.

I created this by asking ChatGPT a series of questions. It is OK, not very detailed. ChatGPT didn't quite meet my expectations. I asked it for references to learn more and it suggested reading journal articles and excavation reports. I was actually hoping for a list of specific articles, reports, etc., not a ridiculously general statement. 

Using ChatGPT is probably a good way to start a page or article or to get ideas, but it isn't going to create a complete work. Not yet.

I asked it some questions about collecting ancient coins. At first it said to collect safely, a collector needed to be able to authenticate the coins and buy from an expert dealer with a guarantee. I pointed out that if the dealer actually was an expert with a guarantee, then a collector did not need to authenticate them himself or or herself. It actually apologized for not thinking clearly and agreed.

By the way, I asked it for recommended ancient coin dealers. It failed to mention Forum Ancient Coins, it did list VCoins and a few dealers I know, it listed a few dealers I do not know. Most surprising, recommended Numismatic Fine Arts (NFA). Theoretically if you ask now, it won't recommend NFA since I told it that NFA is no longer in business.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity