Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: C Caecilius Metellus Caprarius AR Denarius  (Read 388 times)

melqart

C Caecilius Metellus Caprarius AR Denarius
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:35:41 am »
Hi Everyone,

This coin was purchased at an antique auction house together with other 32 ancient coins, 17 of which I believe to be forgeries (i will post each of the suspect to this forum board separately).

It weights 3.43 grams, which, I guess, is quiet low.

The coin has pitted surface, lacks sharpness in detail and to my eye has some intentional scratching to imitate circulation, also fake patina. The rim damage doesn't seem "unintentional" and does look strange considering the age of the coin and the likelihood of silver crystallization.

So in my opinion this coin is a cast fake, but I would highly appreciate the forum members to say their opinions.

Thanks a lot for help in advance!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity