Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very odd lead object. Byzantine seal? Lead version of coin?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
The obverse seems to have a cross or an X, and the reverse has a monogram. Since there is stuff on both sides does that rule out it being a seal? I have several other seals that I may post later. Not quite as interesting though. Is it possible that it is a lead byzantine coin?
Thanks!
Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Very odd lead object. Byzantine seal? Lead version of coin?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:52:16 am »
Hi Nathan,
This is a Byzantine seal. Probably 6th-7th century. Byzantine seals are always double sided, Roman seals are usually one sided. But you can check for yourself if there's a channel running through the center - I think there must be because the breaks in the flan suggests its presence.
Both sides have a monogram. The obv. a cruciform monogram, the rev. a block monogram. Most probably, one will spell out the owner's name, and the other his office or dignity. I think that maybe the monogram on the left should be rotated 90 degrees to the left, making the letter at the left extremity a K - is that right?

Curious about the other lead seals!
Regards
Gert

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Very odd lead object. Byzantine seal? Lead version of coin?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:41:03 pm »
I have acquired a "collection" of about 200 Byzantine seals.  I find them interesting but attribution is extremely difficult.  I have several references, I think nine volumes total.  The only way I know to attribute these is to flip through the pages until I see a match (and most often I don't find a match at all).  They are interesting but an attribution nightmare.  If I ever find the time to work them, I suspect that I will learn a lot from the experience. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity