Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help to ID unknown late Roman coin  (Read 865 times)

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Need help to ID unknown late Roman coin
« on: August 06, 2008, 07:43:05 pm »
Hello All!

I have no idea which emperor this might be. Your help is appreciated. Coin is not in my possession, so I can't help with more or better pics.

Thanks!
mz

Offline echizento

• Consul
Re: Need help to ID unknown late Roman coin
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:23:02 pm »
The monogram on the reverse looks to be of the emperor Anthemius 467-472 AD.
SEMPER PARATUS ("Always Ready", motto of the US Coast Guard)

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:53:32 pm »
Hi - I would tentatively agree, in that the "A" would seem to indicate such. But it could also be an unoffical issue of someone else - maybe Leo or Zeno. If it is an official Anthemius, it would be a valuable coin.

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 02:06:29 am »
Wow, I recognize the finger but didn't recognize that it was potentially Anthemius. If so, what a great find!

It looks genuine to me, even the clunky, putty-like portrait style seems about right for the period, but as always with a scarce emperor, better pics and possibly closer scrutiny by a true expert would be useful.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:41:54 am »
Hi All!

I'm having a lot of problems with this monogram, too.  :-\

The first problem for me is the horizontal bar on the bottom left of the monogram. Nothing like that on any Anthemius monograms. The weird blob at bottom right doesn't help, either, does it?  ???

Really, the closest monogram is #3, right? But now the serif-like vertical line on the middle line of the "E" is bothering me, but that might just be a quirk of the celator? Also, what is that star-like blob above the monogram? Is that an ankh, as in monogram #2 for Anthemius? If so, then the rest of the monogram is off  :(

Or is this a Leo I (#1) coin with the blob being an "S"? IF so, then what is the horizontal bar that makes an "A" doing there?  :'(

Could be Zeno #5, too, but then that blob at the top again  >:(

Thanks to all who replied and thanks in advance for future replies!

Best,
Mark Z.

Offline Glenn Simonelli

• Consul
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 07:40:29 am »
I wonder if the picture is upside down. If so, then it could be #3 with some weird preservation artifacts. Or if it's a cast copy then maybe some flaws in the mold.

Glenn Simonelli
Glenn Simonelli
http://feltemp.com

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:47:24 pm »
Hi Glenn!

Upside down? That's an interesting thought.

I'm wondering if some of what we believe to be the horizontal bar is actually just some blob or encrustation?

mz

All coins are guaranteed for eternity