Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: This is AWESOME!  (Read 866 times)

Offline vacationchick

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
This is AWESOME!
« on: August 06, 2011, 02:04:23 pm »
Recently I was getting pretty frustrated with my coin cleaning skills.  Before flinging the lot out the back door, I decided that perhaps part of the problem was the coins I was starting with, so I bought a few that were not the bottom of the barrel cleaners. 

First, I was shocked that when they arrived, I could actually see things on some of the coins!  I was afraid to even touch them...  I finally understood what you guys meant by identifying the coin BEFORE cleaning, if possible.  I had never even been able to tell it was a coin before cleaning it (and often after cleaning it, as well).  Second, I now understand why you would bother soaking it in distilled water and gently brushing it.  I usually could beat them with a hammer and it wouldn't really matter.

On the downside, it is obvious that some of these have been scratched at already (Licinius's face was partly showing and seems to have some scratches) and there won't be cool surprises in the batch that no one has laid eyes on before... so I am not quite ready to give up the old crunchies yet!

Anyway, to get to the point... I now have a new problem I haven't faced before...

I have cleaned two of them that look totally awesome to me, but I was wondering if there is anything to do about the rough bumpiness, particularly on the reverse of this coin?  Is there any way to smooth it out and make it look shiny (I don't mean metal shiny)?

It was even easy to ID this coin (except that the closest one I saw is supposed to have an A over the III and I think mine looks like a II instead... )

Sorry for being wordy, but this is AWESOME!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: This is AWESOME!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:17:07 pm »
Using Renwax will help give the coin a deeper look and helps the overall appearance.  Nice job!

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: This is AWESOME!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 05:12:09 pm »
Yeah, cruddy coins can be pretty discouraging. I had some that even a light rinse and light rubbing with my thumb destroyed them.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity