Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: featherz 4/11  (Read 2249 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
featherz 4/11
« on: April 11, 2003, 09:53:36 am »
One of the few LRBC's I have that didn't come out of an uncleaned lot way back in the beginning. :)

Constantine I --Æ Brockage Follis (2.97 gm). Ticinum or Siscia mint. CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate head right / Incuse of obverse.

(I use CNG's pic with permission as mine was awful for some reason! :))

Jericho

Re:featherz 4/11
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 11:58:26 am »
I know it's been explained before, but could you tell me exactly how a brokage is made?  I think I know, but I'm not 100% certain.

Thanks!
Roger

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 01:21:51 pm »
It happens when a coin gets stuck in the die and impresses a mirror image on the next coin so the coin ends up with two matching but mirror image 'sides'.. I'm sure there's a much better explanation hiding out there somewhere, but that's the gist of it. I also have an Elagabalus brockage:

Here is the explanation from 'coin world':
If a newly struck coin sticks to the surface of one of the dies, it acts as a die itself - called a die cap - and produces images on succeeding coins. The image produced by any die is the direct opposite on a coin, and brockages are no different. Since the image is raised on the coin adhering to the die, the image on the brockage is incused and reversed - a true mirror image.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 01:57:16 pm »
If they heated the flans to soften them before striking (which would make sense), and the stuck flan had time to cool, it would have hardened - the act of striking would itself harden them metal, then it would get harder again as it cooled - this would explain the depth of the reverse image. I've never handled one but those two of yours look quite well struck on the reverse.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity