Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

is this a rare version of the gloria romanorvm coin

yes
no
dont know

Author Topic: POSSIBLY RARE VALENS COIN ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED  (Read 810 times)

SEANOHARA

POSSIBLY RARE VALENS COIN ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:23:14 am »
hi , i think i may have a rare version of a valens gloria romanorvm coin
i have been unable to find any like it on any of the sites i have checked and i think it may be rare
i have found several like it but none were the same
Valens AE3. AD 367-370. D N VALENS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / GLORIA ROMANORVM, figure walking right, head left, holding labarum, grasping bound captive at the top of the head, with star to the left  and star over delta to right. has partial thessalonica mint mark , looks like edge of t top half of e and a little more than half the s .

none of the ones i could find had 2 stars.
any thoughts on this??

SEANOHARA

Re: POSSIBLY RARE VALENS COIN ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:04:24 am »
i missed a sentence there
none i have found have 2 stars, one left and 1 right over delta

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:51 am »
After a quick search this is the only one I found:
http://kevinscoins.ancients.info/rom_imp/pages/valens/valens_sis_26bxvii.htm

Hard to tell for me how rare this particular combination of symbols (type xvii) on RIC 26b is.

Stefan

SEANOHARA

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:02:13 am »
but that 1 has a star over an a

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:37:43 am »
I have the star plus star over A but not the delta version.

I have always wished that there was more information about the field marks for the GLORIA ROMANORVM and contemporary SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE.

It is clear that some variants are more common than others.  However, I have never seen any information on this.

RIC only provides rarity listings for the basic type by mint and Emperor, but not for each field mark variant.  Guido Bruck indicates which marks he found at Vienna but does not indicate how many of each like he does with mint and Emperor.

I also expect that find locations may differ - ie I doubt that all Siscia variations are found with the same geographic distrubition.  I suspect that some issues were sent to specific locations for distribution.  I thought I read once that finds in the Britain were of a fairly narrow range of field mark variants and that in turn some of these variants were not often found outside Britain.  However, I can't remember where I read that.  Anyone???

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity