Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nikomedes  (Read 989 times)

Roland Mueller

Nikomedes
« on: December 01, 2005, 10:50:27 am »
Here I have a coin with the inscription: NIKOMHDHS, but I didn't found any reverence. Is it either Nicomedia (Bithynia) or a Bithynian King Nikomedes?

AE-16 mm, 2.89 gr.
AV: A goddess? right, (I canot identify the legend), within dotted border
RV: NIKOMH / DHS within a laur. wreath.

Thank you for any help

Roland

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
Re: Nikomedes
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 05:59:59 pm »
It's Tralleis, Lydia. Av. Apollon, legend KAISAREWN; rv. NIKOMHDHC in wreath. Nikomedes is a moneyer's name, and in 26 B.C. Tralleis changed its name to Kaisareia because after an earthquake Augustus helped rebuild the town. It uses this name until the reign of Domitian.
References: BMC 16 339,84
Imhoof-Blumer, Lydische Stadtmünzen 173,21.

Best regards
Frank

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:17:37 pm »
An additional reference is RPC I 2642.
It is in the Julio-Claudians volume, as the ethnic "is the normal form on coins only between Augustus and Nero".

Steve

Roland Mueller

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 04:08:58 am »
Thanks, Frank and Steve, for identifying this coin. Now it is easy to read KAISAREWN on the avers! One more question mark is blowing away, others are waiting for.

Roland

All coins are guaranteed for eternity