Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine anepigraphic Trier cast fake/repro  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Constantine anepigraphic Trier cast fake/repro
« on: September 30, 2007, 06:30:46 pm »
I just bought this one on eBay based on a tiny pic  and willl be returning it.... A very obvious cast fake.

Here's the original pic (magnifed x 3), and a better pic I took of it myself.

In hand the coin has a ridiculously obvious seam where the two halves are joined together, plus a granular surface and loss of detail in the hair (vs better detail on adjacent high points) that all jump out.

The size of the coin is 16x15mm which is a couple of mm smaller than expected.

(continued in next post)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Constantine anepigraphic Trier cast fake/repro
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:33:47 pm »
The seam joining the two side is so obvious that one doesn't need to look any further, but as it happend I just saw this exact same cast being sold as a gold plated reproduction on eBay, and have highliighted some of the correspondence points to make it easy to notice in the future.

I'll file a fake report also.

Ben

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 07:34:10 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 08:56:37 pm »
This is a really good example showing the elements of a cast fake. The obvious edge, and the softness of detail. If the faker had worked a bit harder they might have made it pretty difficult to detect.

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 09:44:13 pm »
boy, without the obvious seam lines, and the 2 other marks, this would have indeed been a very convincing fake. I know that isn't saying much, but those fields look great!

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 11:40:03 am »
The coin has gone back (seller was great and very apologetic), but I took a couple more photos to show the seam. This has to be the poster-child of 2-part cast coins!

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity