Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: new coin for id  (Read 2075 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
new coin for id
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:03:53 am »

i have read alot whilst i have been a member but just cant remember anyone writing a warning about coin addiction which is what i am now suffering with ooooops
 can you please look at my new addition and give me an id for it please
 it came with an id but do not want to sway anyone so will await any answers before i talk about what it says it is

sorry i have no weight or measurement at the moment

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: new coin for id
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:15:07 am »

Elymais drachm.

Pekka K

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:39:38 am »

Elymais drachm.

Pekka K

listed as ORODES 11 but dont seem to be able to prove that it is this specific coin i will have a relook with the information you have supplied
 pekka may i ask a personal question are you working with a photographic memory as although i look at many coins per day my recall ability is just not in your league this is a serious question as whatever coin i put up it is very rare that you do not return with key information and to have that ability would be amazing
 thankyou for your time as always i shall look into it further and gleen what information i can

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:42:30 am »
Helen the more you look at coins the more you will be able to recognize the time period and the culture.  It takes years and thousands of coins but eventually you can narrow it down quite quickly. Personally I've never seen the coin you posted before but the style tells me it's Eastern as Pekka pointed out.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47:48 am »
Helen the more you look at coins the more you will be able to recognize the time period and the culture.  It takes years and thousands of coins but eventually you can narrow it down quite quickly. Personally I've never seen the coin you posted before but the style tells me it's Eastern as Pekka pointed out.

do you think it is real shall i move it to the fake section as cant believe it if it is true it is a great coin and i am worried about the nominal price i have paid for this piece of history

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:55:12 am »
As I said I don't know these coins but just because it is cheap doesn't mean it is fake, it just means there isn't much of a demand for them or the market is flooded. Look in the Forum auctions and you will see lots of real coins selling cheaply.  Look in the members galleries to find similar coins...there are lots of them there.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:58:55 am »
Go to the members gallery and then click "search"  Then type in "Elymais drachm".  Hundreds of coins like yours will show up.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 12:05:58 pm »
  thankyou for all your help i know we dont talk about value but wonder if i can add this as i am trying to learn values on coins IN GENERAL as an important part of collecting and have checked these coins on the forum and they have all been sold so there is nothing i can gleen from that source

Category: Persian Coins
Bronze Elymais coin of a bearded King with anchor on one side, raised designs on the other side.
Persian antiquities are authentic historical relics and come with a Certificate of Authenticity.
Questions? Ask the Relequist

200 AD
1/2"
    $449.99
Plus Shipping
11% Discount?  

MY QUESTIONS

1/ is this the same coin please
 2/ is this just a greedy seller OR is this the type of money this coin could be expected to achieve

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=Elymais+drachm&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#14

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »
   thankyou for that great link something i can study at long last thankyou all for your help very difficult when you are swimming out of your depth        :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 01:22:13 pm »
Here's another helpful link.

http://www.parthia.com/parthia_coins_elymais.htm

~Steve

Edit; also check out this mini article on Doug Smith's website.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/voc6.html

scroll down a little to find your coin ;)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 01:54:40 pm »
 ;D

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 02:24:56 pm »
Coins in this condition can be had cheaply. I've seen many hundreds of these Elymaic bronzes in junk boxes for $10 or less, the nicer ones as nice as this one. Some even had a patina.
Andreas Reich

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 04:06:42 pm »
I see no reason to suppose it isn't genuine. Nice coin.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:16 pm »
These coins are rather common.  At the most for a really nice one, I wouldn't pay more than $20.  I think I have 5 or 6 in my album and didn't pay more than $10 for any of them.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-29875

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »
 thankyou for all your help i know we dont talk about value but wonder if i can add this as i am trying to learn values on coins IN GENERAL as an important part of collecting and have checked these coins on the forum and they have all been sold so there is nothing i can gleen from that source

Bronze Elymais coin of a bearded King with anchor on one side, raised designs on the other side.
Persian antiquities are authentic historical relics and come with a Certificate of Authenticity.

200 AD
1/2"
    $449.99
Plus Shipping
11% Discount?  

MY QUESTIONS

2/ is this just a greedy seller OR is this the type of money this coin could be expected to achieve

Same coin.  Greedy seller.  Even a tetradrachm of Orodes II should be less than $150.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 09:20:20 am »

200 AD
1/2"
    $449.99
Plus Shipping
11% Discount?  

MY QUESTIONS

Same coin.  Greedy seller.  Even a tetradrachm of Orodes II should be less than $150.

thankyou so much for your time in explaining that this can happen it helps a newbie  get a handle on the reality
  valuation is something that is quite hard to detemine as in any hobby no one wants to spend more than it is actually worth

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »
Maybe the kind of dealer who lists coins for 10-20 times what they're worth. These sellers typically accept offers so buyers pay 5 times what the coin is worth and still think they're being clever. A common tactic on Ebay.
Andreas Reich

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 04:29:55 am »

today this coin has arrived and it is a delight i am just so pleased to own it thankyou for your comments

i will continue with some research and find out a little more about the history

All coins are guaranteed for eternity