Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BCC B46 Maurice Half Follis SB 514 from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 252 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
BCC B46 Maurice Half Follis SB 514 from Caesarea Maritima
« on: December 26, 2023, 12:47:31 am »
Hi, all.  Here is a half follis of Maurice from Caesarea Maritima.  I am aware that these coins were minted at Constantinople, Nicomedia, and Cyzicus without mint marks and are distinguishable only with difficulty on the basis of portrait style and other features.  A search revealed that this question has been raised a number of times on Forum's Byzantine discussion board.  Unfortunately, the obverse of my coin is not very clear.  I have assigned this one to Nicomedia, based on the general style, the officina mark, and especially on the use of the :V: in the date.  This particular date, year 8 or 9, using the U rather than the G, is not listed in the text of DOC I for either mint.  However, the date in the photograph of DOC 115b (year 8, officina B) on plate LXXI looks very similar to my coin.  Still, I would like to know if anyone has a different opinion.  Assuming this is from Nicomedia, would Sear 514 be a correct reference?  Thanks for any help.

Regards, Jimi (V-drome)

BCC B46
Byzantine Period
Maurice Tiberius 582-602 CE
AE Half Follis, Nicomedia
Obv: dN MAV...[    ] or similar.
Crowned and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus
cruciger in right hand, and shield on left shoulder.
Rev: Large K, above, cross, to left ANNO, to right
II/uI(I)?, (Regnal Year 9=590/91 CE), below B.
Max. Diameter: 24mm.  4.85gm.  Axis:210 (7Hr). 
cf. DOC 115b.v (date); and SB 514
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1974

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: BCC B46 Maurice Half Follis SB 514 from Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 05:02:57 pm »
Yes if attributed to Nicomedia,  it would be Sear 514, I am not familiar enough to comment on style attribution to Cyzicus or Constantinople.

cw

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 05:33:19 pm »
Thank you, Wiley C.  Most of the "K" coins I have seen applied to Nicomedia also seem to have this very abbreviated type of obverse legend, and a larger right hand with globe/cross below it, as well.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 04:25:50 pm »
Yours is definitely 115b.  Not a die match, but clearly by the same engraver.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline wegm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
    • History & Numismatics
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 02:28:31 pm »
Good analysis, with which I concur. Attached is an image of another example of this type, different year but same officina and - I believe - mint. Very similar in inscription abbreviation and regnal year depiction.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 05:07:25 pm »
Thank you Wegm and SC.  I am happy to be finally able to work on my unidentified Byzantines.

Best regards, Jimi

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 10:56:16 pm »
I agree it looks a lot like 115b

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 11:39:10 pm »
Thank you, Obryzum!