Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Curious AE2 of Magnentius  (Read 446 times)

Wojciech U

Curious AE2 of Magnentius
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:42:43 pm »
Hey,

I have problems identifying this Magnentius. It's far from good condition, but I have other problem. It's quite clear mintmark is PTR. I watched it closely from different angles and there's no way it could be TRP or TRS - and those are to be the only Trier mintmarks used for his coins.

I also couldn't find an example with letter F in lower centre.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't look like a barbarous imitation for me. Style, lettering and weight, all look ok. Any ideas how to proceed?

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Curious AE2 of Magnentius
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »

Possibly RIC VIII Arles 173.

Pekka K

Wojciech U

Re: Curious AE2 of Magnentius
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:11:51 pm »
Looks like I was too hung up on Trier! You're genious!

Thank You very much!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity