Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Havercamp Siegbert - Nymmophylacium Reginae Christinae - 1742 AD  (Read 2231 times)

DrMGM

I recently got my hands on this book.... It is written on french and Italian. Anyone knows anything about it? Value etc?

Best Regards

DrMGM

DrMGM

Re:Havercamp Siegbert - Nymmophylacium Reginae Christinae - 1742 AD
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 01:59:18 pm »
Another picture....

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 02:30:22 pm »
     The plates, showing large and middle bronzes from the collection of Queen Christina, had been prepared 50 years earlier by Bartolo; this is their first and only publication, accompanied by Havercamp's wordy and superficial commentary on them, in Latin (not Italian) and French.
     The book is important chiefly as the only substantial illustrated record of that famous collection, which was eventually bought by the Vatican, then removed to Paris by Napolean and incorporated into the French national collection.
     I would think the book is worth about 500 Euros retail.
Curtis Clay

DrMGM

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 03:09:10 pm »

Hello Curtislclay

Thanks alot for the info to bad I don't know french. Is the date 1742 correct? Since I think that is also the year Havercamp died?

Best Regards

DrMGM

DrMGM

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 03:12:39 pm »
Also are you sure it isn't italian? Some of it seems to be latin but some part really looks like italian to me... Of course I am not an language expert...

DrMGM

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 03:21:13 pm »
      I believe the date of publication is uncontroversial.  There is of course nothing unusual about a book being published in the year of the author's death.
      I have a copy of the book myself and clearly remember having to choose between Latin and French when reading the commentary.  There is no doubt whatever that the first title page in your image is in Latin not Italian!
Curtis Clay

DrMGM

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 07:04:46 pm »

Hello again

Thanks for the feedback.... Yes the first part is in lation some other aswell... But I still belive it is also in italian? I can take some pictures and publish them here.... French and Latin is used for sure...

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 10:53:50 pm »
      The commentary page you illustrate, which was not showing on my computer for a while, has the left-hand column in French and the right-hand column in Latin.  
      I would be very surprised if there is any Italian text in the book.   Please reproduce any text you think is Italian, or specify the page and I will check in my copy.

Curtis Clay

DrMGM

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 04:59:42 am »
Curtisclay

Your where of course right it is latin I have checked with a friend of mine. I took all the ismo stuff as Italian. But I was wrong...

Thanks for the help.

I really like the book even tough I don't understand everyting. Do you know anything about other old Roman Coin books?

Best Regards

/DrMGM

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 09:33:07 pm »
I am familiar with most antiquarian books on ancient, particularly Roman, coins, and I have copies of many of them in my personal library.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity