Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Otho-with questions about toning.  (Read 223 times)

Offline Justin L1

• Praetorian
New Otho-with questions about toning.
« on: November 26, 2023, 03:45:22 pm »
Hello-

I just added this Otho Denarius to my collection from the most recent Harlan Berk sale. It is an ex Nelson Bunker Hunt collection/sale coin which I found pretty interesting. My question Aaron Berk had mentioned that most of the Otho Denari in his opinion are rather toned or dark. Why is this? This coin is almost a uniform chocolaty color on both the reverse and obverse. Would these coins have greater toning given their desirability and having been in coin collections/trays for many years, or are they more predisposed from a silver content/composition issue inherent to the Otho series themselves?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Justin

Offline Marti Vltori

• Consul
Re: New Otho-with questions about toning.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 09:13:54 pm »
I don't have input on the nature of toning in regards to Otho but that is a handsome specimen.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 09:39:33 pm »
Nice Otho!  Coins from old collections were usually stored in manila envelopes which turns coins that nice even dark tone.  I suspect that is the case here.

Of course it happens naturally too but takes longer.  It can also be sped up with various chemicals.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 10:15:31 pm »
Attractive toning. Perhaps was kept in a cabinet and there was some rubbing of the felt on the reverse high points when the drawer was opened and closed.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Justin L1

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 12:50:14 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts on the coin! I bet you all are right that it is a combination of storage methods-and it is interesting that there is the spot on the reverse without the toning so maybe coin tray friction is accountable. I received a copy of the Sotheby's listing from 1991 and the coin looks largely unchanged.

Kindly,

Justin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity