Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake of a fake Julius Caesar?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
Fake of a fake Julius Caesar?
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:53:24 pm »
The EBay seller claims this is an ancient fake:

His Description
"Roman Republican Silver Denarius, Julius Caesar, 49-48 B.C. Rare counterfeit coin.

This is an authentique replica, if I can say sow, that means that the replica was stamped B.C.

Sacrificial implements / elephant trampling on snake"

Are the there resources about ancient counterfeits?

It seems an interesting area but how do you tell a fake ancient fake from a real ancient fake?

Is this one real?

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
Re: Fake of a fake Julius Caesar?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:57:55 pm »
I think it's a modern fake of an ancient imitation. It looks modern to me and it seems to be pressed, not struck. Genuine, struck coins are a little concave/convex.

Stefan

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Fake of a fake Julius Caesar?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:56:22 am »
Egad!

That may be the least convincing fake I've ever seen (and I have seen some unconvincing fakes!).
A fake fake. It isn't even making an effort. Yes, modern, I feel quite sure.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity