Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help for identifying trachy  (Read 315 times)

Offline Wojciech S2

• Legionary
Need help for identifying trachy
« on: June 16, 2023, 03:22:41 pm »
Hello Friends. I have a request for help in identifying two billon trachy. I have been looking through various websites and photos for a week now, unfortunately I have not found anything. One of them is probably a Manuel I or a Bulgarian imitation.

Offline Wojciech S2

• Legionary
Re: Need help for identifying trachy
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 04:12:45 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I am not entirely convinced that one of these coins is a Latin Empire of Constantinopole or Thessalonika coin. There are no inscriptions on either of these coins, on mine (photo) there is a residual inscription probably the end of the word manovHA. I am not entirely convinced that I am right which is why I wrote a thread on this forum

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 06:58:16 pm »
The top coin is possibly SBCV 2055, the Hendy Type A of (supposedly) Thessalonica, which is actually not shown in the Labarum Catalog. Or the small module version.

If so there should be stars right and left on the obverse.

Ross G.

Offline Wojciech S2

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 02:23:46 pm »
I used a magnifying glass and did not see any stars, however I did notice a crescent(?) which I marked in red. I have also marked other elements that are faintly visible in the photo. Maybe this will help to judge this coin better. What about the second coin or is it a Bulgarian imitation?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity