Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mughal coins ID-help  (Read 2687 times)

Offline blot-sven

• Consul
  • Trying is the first step towards failure
Mughal coins ID-help
« on: October 12, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
Can someone who can read these coins help me? I´m not sure about the ID of these Indian silver coins. I bought the first (largest) one attributed to Aurangzeb (1658-1707). The other coin was attributed to someone called Nasir al din Mohammed (around 1720 something).
Are these attributions correct?

Many thanks in advance!

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Mughal coins ID-help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:28:02 am »
Yes they are what they have been describe as. 

The first is Muhayyi-ud-din Muhammad Aurangzeb Alamgir, 1068 to 1118 AH (1658-1707 AD).  I see the number 3 on it, but can't find the date or mint (most likely I wouldn't know it if it was staring me in the face.)  There are a huge variety of thes coins and a lot of mints made them.  This is listed as a Type 300 in South Asian Coins and Paper Money.  I can give you a reference number from the book, but it will be a range of numbers since I don't know the mint or date.  This coin should weigh between 11 to 11.6 grams.

The second coin is Muhammad Shah, 1131 to 1161 AH (1719-1748 AD).  I can see a start of a date in the upper right on the left image.  It looks to be 111-, but I am not certain.  On the reverse (the right image) there is the number 4.  This coin is a type 436.  It should weigh between 11.2 to 11.6 grams.

Manzikert

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 05:26:48 pm »
Hi

Top coin is from Surat mint (at the bottom of the reverse, the left image): the long crescent with two dots above is the T of the mintname. This would make it 300.86 in SAC, and I'm fairly sure it is year 31 (I see a 1 after Howard's 3) which would cover c.1688-89.

The bottom coin is from Ahmadabad (SAC 436.1), year 4 = c.1722-23.

The dates are approximate as, though the regnal years are exact, these spread over two Hijra years, and these in turn don't coincide very well with the AD years :-\

Best wishes

Alan

Offline blot-sven

• Consul
  • Trying is the first step towards failure
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 09:52:50 am »
Great!

Thanks a lot Howard and Alan!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity