Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seleukos I Nikator AR Tetradrachm authenticity  (Read 1338 times)

vaxtankava

Seleukos I Nikator AR Tetradrachm authenticity
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »
Dear Colleagues, with only these photos available is it possible to qualify this coin as not being a fake?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Seleukos I Nikator AR Tetradrachm authenticity
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »
What is the weight? Some details (lettering) appear to be soft.
PeteB

vaxtankava

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 04:41:38 pm »
PeteB

Unfortunately weight is not available, hopefully will get it by tomorrow…reverse design looks kind of blurred to me as well

vaxtankava

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:08:08 am »
PeteB

The weight is 16.2 g, should be 17.0 if I'm not mistaken

justinopolitanus

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:16:17 am »
Hot silver occupies a greater volume than cold, so a cast coin, coming from a mold taken on the original, is a bit lighter and has a volume slightly lower than it.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 11:11:05 am »
A really tough call. While I cannot condemn it outright, the light weight and muddled lettering would convince me to avoid it. BTW, it purports to be from the Ecbatana mint. My experience with Ecbatana coins of Seleukos I indicates a fairly strict adherence to the weight standard of 17.0 grams minimum.....most with even a slight amount over 17.0 grams....like 17.1, 17.2, and even 17.3 grams.
Your call.
PeteB

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:50:37 pm »
Suspect, but perhaps harshly cleaned - which may explain what I don't like about its appearance. You really need to see it under a scope to determine whether it is struck or not.

vaxtankava

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:14:57 am »
Suspect, but perhaps harshly cleaned - which may explain what I don't like about its appearance. You really need to see it under a scope to determine whether it is struck or not.

Yes, thanks, you were right!! the seller of the coin has just confessed he cleaned it with an acid :-\  something he denied before

All coins are guaranteed for eternity