Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to remove awful shellac “patina” from coins? Tips helpful.  (Read 505 times)

Offline Daniel J

• Praetorian
I bought these two coins on eBay. I knew the patina looked way too bright but at only $6 and $10 I went for it anyways. Looking at them under the scope it’s very obvious they have been coated in some kind of shellac. Anyone have experience cleaning this gunk off before I try some nail polish remover?

*Update the guy says the patina is real but that he put a “Polaroid protection” on them. Is this for real?? Ever hear of this.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Your images did not show for me.

Please always attach images to your post instead of using image links. Click additional options. Browse to select the image on your hard drive. Then post.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Daniel J

• Praetorian
Re: How to remove awful shellac “patina” from coins? Tips helpful.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:29:57 am »
Thanks Joe. Wasn’t sure how adding images worked.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: How to remove awful shellac “patina” from coins? Tips helpful.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 01:36:51 pm »
Yes, there is a material I used to encounter from some dealers and collectors in Central Europe that was sometimes used to shellac coins to "preserve them".  Its name sounds like polaroid but is Paraloid.

From a conservation materials website the material is Paraloid-72 and is also known as Acryloid B-72.  It is a copolymer of ethyl methacrylate and methyl acrylate supplied in 100% resin pellets which are soluble in acetone, toluene and xylene.

In my experience it is used by some European dealers and collectors but is not always used well or properly.

You can find out how to remove it by reading up on the product online.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity