Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need ID help on Zeno solidus  (Read 64 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Need ID help on Zeno solidus
« on: April 04, 2024, 09:48:41 pm »
I'm having difficulty figuring out if this coin: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=186825 is RIC X 910 or 929.  The difference is if it's 4th or 5th issue, according to RIC, but I can't tell any other difference between the RIC numbers, or how one would tell the difference between issues.

Anyone know?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Need ID help on Zeno solidus
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 12:57:54 am »
Dear Ron and Board,

Attached is a probable match, plus some commentary on the solidii of Constantinople, from the Dumbarton Oaks Collection catalog.  Unfortunately, RIC X came out a couple years too late to be consulted by the DO scholars:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=ric%20x

Even though I don't seem to have an obvious record of having purchased RIC X, I feel like I have a copy of it somewhere here...  Anyway, if you would like to share a few pictures of the pages that are causing you mental stress, I might be able to help interpret the information...or not! 

Take care and hope you had a great Easter!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan     

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Need ID help on Zeno solidus
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 07:38:43 pm »
I think I figured it out Mark.  Has to be 910.  I was mis-reading the headings and I think 929 is a semisis and not a solidus, making 910 the correct ID. 

I'm not the only confused one though - CNG also had this coin listed as "either 910 or 929" when I bought it  ::)

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity