Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Before coins coin?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Smulan

• Consul
Before coins coin?
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:48 pm »
Hello!

This is said to be a before coin kind of thing. Its about 4 cm and from Greece.  Any input on this mostly appreciated!  /Smulan

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Before coins coin?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 04:48:43 pm »
A piece of horse equipment?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:02:30 pm »
I don’t pretend to be an expert on “Primitive Means of Exchange”, but this item doesn’t seem to be “money”.  The item seems to have been produced for some specific purpose.  I think Robert is on the correct path, but we may find someone here that knows for certain.

Offline Smulan

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:09:43 pm »
Agree. It looks like it has a purpose and why put all this effort in shaping the metal if not....

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:20:02 pm »
It is a piece of some utilitatian item. There's a lot of this kind of stuff out there; probably ancient, but not something that would have been used as money.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Smulan

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:17:17 am »
I have the "thing" at home now and have investigated it a bit more.  The colour of the metal under the corrosion silver, its not magnetic and it is strong (not led). Can it be other metal then silver? How about a brace? /Smulan

Offline Smulan

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:16 pm »
I cleaned it by electrolysis and this is the result. One end is very sharp.

Offline Smulan

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »
It might be a plumb. If you put a stone on the bent big circle you could easily fasten it with a rope with help of the two bumps. The upper loop is for the rope and the sharp edge can make at good mark. The construction will give a mass centric plumb whit a minimum of metal use. How does it sounds?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity