Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fibulae. # 1. Greek.  (Read 1066 times)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Fibulae. # 1. Greek.
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:35:47 am »
Question to Jfiat500   :evil:    or other experts .
Is the description right.

Silver fibula. 5th c. BC. 4,3 cms h. Single piece construction terminated in a stylized ram's head.Incised design on the outer facet of the bow and on the square catchplate,beyond which the pin turns in a u-shape with the ram's head at the terminal with stylized nose and mouth.Fine coiled antlers from a separate piece of wire applied to the crown of the ram's head.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Fibulae. # 1. Greek.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:20:36 pm »
It's a great piece but unfortunately I've never seen one of these before...

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:29:43 pm »
Benito,

I have never seen a parallel either.

I did some digging though. 

The foot curved towards the bow looks like the La Tene I or La Tene A period.

Sure enough the closest parallels I could find come from a book on Etrurian fibulae.  In Pierro Guzzo's "La Fibule in Etruria"  one with the same animal head on the curved foot are known as La Tene A fibula type "test d'uccello".  Your Italian is probably much better than mine but I translate that to Bird head.

The reinforces the first thought that came into my mind - that it is more like a bird head - specifically duck - than a ram.

They are Guzzo's type Beta.  However, none of his three sub-types are quite the same as yours.

Interestingly he dates them to 5th-4th c BC.

Do you know where it is from?

Etrurian/North Italic fibulae types were widely copied in Illyria and the Dalmatian Coast and sometimes appear in the inner Balkans too.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:45:41 pm »
No idea. Seller ,Ancient Art ,only mentioned greek. Have seen similar among the Boston Museum catalogue for bronzes.
The general type is not rare. The scythians had something of the type.
One of those whims when you collect antiquities.A fibula here, a lamp there,a scarab . My big collection is precolumbian. Possibly one day  I'll post a pic
with one of my specimens and some high end roman coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity