Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus, Sidon AE  (Read 331 times)

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
Augustus, Sidon AE
« on: September 04, 2023, 06:14:10 am »
Hi Board! I recently acquired such a coin from Sidon during the reign of Octavian Augustus: RPC I, 4577. There are 10 specimens on the rpc online, unfortunately I can't find any auction listings, there are no listings on acsearch, nor specimen is there on wildwinds. Is this due to the rarity of the coin, or perhaps because the attribution (assigned to the reign of Augustus) has recently been changed?

Please share your specimens if you have!

Greetings,

Robert

Ps. Apologies for the picture of the obverse, I don't know why it shows upside down.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Augustus, Sidon AE
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 06:50:32 am »
If RPC online has ten specimens from year 123 then the coin probably is at least not too rare  :).

The attribution depends on the dates shown on these coins following the era of Sidon beginning at 112/111 BC. Already in the older references (Babelon, Rouvier) this was known, so there has not been any reattribution.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 05:11:54 pm »
Altamura thank you very much for answer! I understand that based on the number of specimens in the rpc, the coin is not extremely rare, but I am surprised that the current 10 specimens are only museum or literature items. No information about any auctions. And I can't even find a picture of this coin with details clearly visible. Maybe someone here has a coin in better condition and wants to show off? :)

Greetings,

Robert

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 06:31:03 pm »
I'm posting better photos of the coin :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity