Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Old coin with fleur-de-lis  (Read 469 times)

Offline Tom B3

• Legionary
Old coin with fleur-de-lis
« on: August 18, 2022, 04:39:28 pm »
Hi everyone

My grandfather passed away last year and he left me some of his old metal detecting finds. Among them is this coin that I can't seem to identify.
The only thing I can make out is a double square with some fleur-de-lis inside. The other side just seems to have some wavy lines. Any ideas?

Thanks
--Tom

Offline Tom B3

• Legionary
Re: Old coin with fleur-de-lis
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 04:39:56 pm »
Other side:

Offline Tom B3

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 04:41:03 pm »
It's a little bent (its a very thin coin) and the details arent very clear (presumably as its been worn as its old).

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 05:00:56 pm »
Hello Tom B3!
It is not precisely a coin.
It is a "Rechenpfennig" from Nürnberg and you'll find it on the www under "Jeton de Compte à la Nef", or "Jeton aux quatre fleurs de lys en losange" of which type it is one of the many variants.
Here is such a picture I found there:

Offline Tom B3

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 05:27:37 pm »
Oh wow, thats pretty cool!

Thanks so much for the help!!

--Tom

All coins are guaranteed for eternity