Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiny Lycian AR Fractional - Legend?  (Read 1609 times)

pulvinar

Tiny Lycian AR Fractional - Legend?
« on: May 06, 2007, 08:23:55 pm »
I've been trying to translate the legend on this tiny AR fractional.  I've been able to make out a clear "g" and "p" (right side of coin) and maybe an "n" and "b" (left side of coin).  The remaining characters, particularly those at the top, are a mystery.  Also, I've been toying with the idea that the very strange diskeles-like figure in the middle might be a stylized Lycian "X," which could represent a city symbol for Xanthos.  Very speculative, though.

Any ideas about the legend?  Dynast name?  City?

Pul

All coins are guaranteed for eternity