Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Lead Seal of Virgin Mary and Child with Block Monogram Mystery  (Read 73 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Dear Board,

I would greatly appreciate a little input on my tentative identification of the attached Byzantine lead seal(ing).  The metrics are 22.1mm, 10.259g., & 330° (11:00).

On the Byzantine seals database of Dumbarton Oaks (which is a very beautiful and useful site, by the way!), I found these two seals, both similar in style:

https://www.doaks.org/resources/seals/byzantine-seals/BZS.1955.1.240/view?fbclid=IwAR1zkDJ6y5MTIxykQhRvvchjnHjW8RTiThtH0Kjiy7xAcGBMSxnNc4X3vU8

https://www.doaks.org/resources/seals/byzantine-seals/BZS.1951.31.5.3062/view?fbclid=IwAR1DJ4YuZssHtmKYs6W8PHfLXiEyKOb0eAWjlWhRaU-mWHVtRh8AJg3EF8o

Thus, it looks like the piece under study can possibly be dated to the sixth or seventh century.

Next is the block monogram.  By traveling generally down a few times, I get "ΜΑΡΚΟΥ" (of Markos), and from right to left and then up, I also seem to get "ΕΠΙCΚΟΠΟΥ" (of the bishop).  That said, it feels like two other letters, 'Χ' and possibly 'Ν' are unaccounted for.

Again, any help with pushing me in the right direction would be very welcome, especially with the reading of the monogram or with finding a cataloged example of the seal (or a very similar one)!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Dear Board,

Upon further reflection, I am wondering if the 'Χ' could be used to help raise "ЄΠΙCΚΟΠΟC" to "ΑΡΧΙЄΠΙCΚΟΠΟC" (archbishop)?!  Seems reasonable... 

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Hi Mark,
First of all, well done reading this complex monogram. You have rightly assumed that it hides more than just the personal name. If an office is combined, I think episkopou (or indeed, archiepiskopou) is the most probable guess. Another possibility would be eparchou, but I can't think of any names that could go along with that.

If we read episkopos, that leaves M and/or X and A, and possibly N - and here we run into problems, because there are multiple options, as any of the letters of episkopou is 'allowed' to be added. So indeed, Markou is possible, but Mariou, Marianou, Maurikiou, Eukarpiou, Kyprianou all fit the monogram as well.

You say it feels that X and N are unaccounted for, but we do need to assume the X when M and A are read. And there is no need to read archiepiskopou, although that is very much possible. If we read archiepiskopou, then the possibilities for the personal name would increase even more, because we can read any name with an A and any letter of the monogram.

In the course of the 7th century, the block monogram is pretty much abandoned in favor of the cruciform monogram. I think one of the reasons must be that complex block monograms like this one almost always yield multiple readings.
Regards
Gert

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Dear Gert Sama and Board,

Thank you ever so much for your invaluable input and pointers!  I will try to remember the "M-A rule."  That was (probably) the first Byzantine seal that I had seriously researched, or at least the most, time wise!

May I incorporate some of your observations/interpretations in a write-up for Joe?  I will make certain to credit you for the information.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity