Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lanuvium  (Read 2569 times)

eduardo

Lanuvium
« on: November 29, 2005, 04:47:46 pm »
Hello to all,

I am working on an article about the miths of Lanuvium and the moneyers who struck coins with those subjects.  Cohen mentions a gold coin minted by Marcus Mettius but nobody else does to my understanding.  Although the refered coin is not related to the Lanuvian miths I would like to know if there is any other referene.

Also there are to bronce coins of the Renia Family A semis in in the Naples Musseum and both values are in the Hanover Musseum.  I have been able to find only one photograph.  That of the Naples musseum.  It was published by Saul Domingo in his "Catalogo General de la Moneda Romana". Valencia 1983. Enclosed below. Could someone be kind enough as to give me references to other pieces or photographs.  Aparently there was another Semir has has disapeared.

Thanks.  If you or anyboda wants, when the article is finish I will translate it into English and pasted where you can see it.

Eduardo

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
Re: Lanuvium
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:00:02 pm »
Very interesting matter, I'd like to read the article when ready (even in spanish).
...et iam summa procul villarum culmina fumant, maioresque cadunt altis de montibus umbrae.

eduardo

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 05:48:33 pm »
Thanks Plinius,

I can send you the daft as it is now if you want.  Please tell me more about the coin you posted. 

Eduardo

eduardo

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 08:34:12 am »
Although the dragon of the mith becomes a snake in the coin and many authors say that that is because the area of Lanuvium is full of snakes, the head of the Lucius Roscius Fabatus coin presented by Plinius is very dragon like.  Any other sugestions?

Eduardo

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 12:55:12 pm »
Well, I read on
G. Alteri, "Tipologia delle monete della repubblica di Roma", Città del Vaticano, Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana 1990.
That the Roscia family had origins from Lanuvium. On the obverse we see the tipical portrait of Juno Lanuvia, the original cult from Lanuvium. Juno has a goat skin as hat. This type is quite common on republican denarii (Papius Celsus, L Papius , L Procilius, Q Cornificius, Thorius Balbus)
On obverse a very complex and interesting scene: a young virgo is feeding a dragon. The mythe is described by Eliano and Properzio.  It is told that this myth is a typical cult in Lanuvium. In a sacred wood near Lanuvium there was a dragon. Every year a virgin girl had to go to the dragon to feed him. If the girl was really virgin, she could survive and come back safe to the city. If not, she had been eaten. I’ts quite interesting, the dragon, or snake, on the coin is well engraved.
Now, I’ll post the whole coin
Ciao
Plinius
...et iam summa procul villarum culmina fumant, maioresque cadunt altis de montibus umbrae.

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 01:19:29 pm »
Here’s the coin
Here Juno Sospita, the goddess from Lanuvium, with her attributes: the 8 shape shield , spear and goat skin. She is always represented with a snake. The goddess protects the female sex  and delivery.
Another interesting legend from Lanuvium depicted on republican coins is on the obverse of the denarius of Papius Celsius:  a complex scene showing the legend of the foundation of Lanuvium.
Hi
Plinius

eduardo

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 02:06:29 pm »
Grazie Plinio,

I thought that I had the article almost ready but your post with the reference of G. Alteriu has given me another family involved which I had not found previously any  reference "Cornucifia".  Quintus Cornicifivs  has 3 denarii wich show Juno Sospita  crowning Cornificium. the reverse.  There is also an AureusCohen expands in the histori of Q, Cornifucivs.

So now there areseven gens related to Lanuvium:
1.- Cornucifia
2.- Mettia
3.- Papia
4.- Procilius
5.- Renia;
6.- Roscia
7.- Thoria

Will have to introduce all this new information in the article.  There was another gold aureus by Cohen explains his doubt and was eliminated from any further cathalog or study.

I will have to translate the article into English but if you want the Spanish version just let me know.  Thaks a lot.

Eduardo

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 04:50:41 pm »
about the foundation of Lanuvium:
The complex scene on the reverse depicts the legend about the foundation of Lanuvium  told by Dionigi of Alicarnasso.

eduardo

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 09:37:10 pm »
Thank you Plinius,

Your coin with the she wolf and eagle is super.  It is good to see the she wolf so close because in the texts I have  been reading the leyens by D.Halicarnasus  mentios "un lobo" (male wolf) same as in italian where the gender is clear, but Seaby  in his Roman silver Coins, mentions a "she wolf", and her she is.  Since I don´t have Dionisius de Halicarnasus I am using the Seaby version but will add the fact that while Aeneas and his fellow Troyans were building Lanuvium they saw a fire in the woods. The Seaby version starts saying they saw the she wol putting wood in a brazier. The fox, who should be seen as a forest fire fighter, does not appear in the coin.

Now I am dealing with the crow in Juno´s shoulder in the Cornuficia coin.  The crow is related to Augurs which Quintus C. was but also there is a reference of Livy (Titus Livius) regarding a crow descending at Juno Sospitia's temple in Lanuvium.  By the end of this research I must go to Lanuvium.

Thanks again caro amico. Ci vidiamo a dopo

Eduardo

PS.  I read the article on the Gorgona.  Very interesting.  Also the one on the uncuse coins.  I found it instructive and a very interesting proyect.  What I could not find was the reference to broken coins. 

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 02:22:55 am »
the coin of Papius Celsius unfortunately is not mine  :'(
I've downloaded from coinarchives.

eduardo

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 06:21:14 am »
Buon giorno Plinio,

Have you been in Denarios. org?  A page in Spanish on Roman denaries by a very special group of experts.  Their cathalog is excelent and growing.

The coin might not be yours but as if it was when doing research.

Eduardo

http://www.denarios.org/

eduardo

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 07:09:27 am »
The shield of Juno Sospita.

I read somewhere and can't find it now, a description of Juno's shield. Can someone please help me to be able to finally finish the article.

Thanks in advance.

Eduardo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity