Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Crude Anonymous Follis  (Read 276 times)

Offline arcadivs

• Legionary
A Crude Anonymous Follis
« on: September 12, 2023, 11:00:13 am »
Hello, this is my first post to this forum! I've posted this coin elsewhere but have come no further in my search for better attribution. I have a very crude anonymous follis unlike any I can see on any auction archive or website. I'm wondering if anyone has come across a coin like this and has some tips to attribute who may be imitating it (if it all)? Some people have suggested it may be Islamic due to the legends to the right of Christ's portrait, although the Greek writing (albeit very poor quality) leads me to think this is not the case. If not, enjoy this very dumbstruck-looking Christ!

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Re: A Crude Anonymous Follis
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 02:35:46 pm »
Welcome to the club, arcadivs, and thank you for sharing this interesting coin with us!

It is a very nice example of a contemporary imitation of an Anonymous Class A follis with an unusually well struck and minimally worn face of Christ.  It would be interesting to see a study of these imitations as I am sure the style of the bust and the letter forms could be compared with those of the coins of surrounding people groups such that likely attributions could be made.  I have not seen one of these, but if anyone else is aware of a study or paper on these, please post the title or a link to it as I would be interested in taking a look.

Could you please share the weight and maximum diameter of your coin?

I have a couple coins that look similar to yours, but I don't know their origin either.  I tend to agree with you that it doesn't seem to be of Islamic origin in large part due to the letters, which are blundered but of ok form.  In fact, the reverse is in some ways quite close.  If you rotate your reverse photo 180 degrees, it looks like it reads:  +IhS :gammareversed: / [XR]ISTu / ??

Congratulations on your great find!

Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity