Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silver Inclusions  (Read 266 times)

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
  • A Lover of History and Art
Silver Inclusions
« on: June 27, 2023, 07:42:17 pm »
I've done mostly bronze cleaning in my time and what silver I have cleaned has been very simple, just soft dirt coins or green bits that both come off with lemon juice, q tips and patience (mostly the last one). As a collector of modest means who enjoys the cleaning hobby, the chance to buy a pretty coin and work to restore it is intriguing. I've found one I may be interested in, pictured below. To clean such a coin what would you recommend? I don't know what the black substance is. Horn Silver? Iron? Would the best way to treat such a coin be lemon juice? MSR? Horn remover? Sandpaper (Don't worry I would never) I would love to hear about any similar coins you have cleaned and what results can be expected.
Looking for more underpriced uncleaned coins. Let me know if you find them.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Silver Inclusions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 07:53:34 am »
Not something I have ever done.  I have a couple in this condition - though plain denarii - in my "to do" pile.

Worth reading through the threads as there have been similar ones discussed before. 

I think people have used lemon juice on the black too but am not sure.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 02:25:52 pm »
I'm trying to get a few test denari right now. I would hate to mess up this type of coin, not that lemon juice would really hurt it.

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 01:41:42 am »
I officially bought the coin. I'll have to detail my cleaning efforts. Any advice is appreciated!

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 11:31:27 pm »
The looks a lot better in hand than it did online. So far I've looked at some distilled water and probed the black portions with a bamboo skewer. They appear soft, the bamboo being able to leave a mark. I tried a fiberglass pen and this seems to take off some material slowly. I would prefer not to polish the coin and so don't want to go over everything with the fiberglass pen. Is this horn silver then? I tried applying lemon juice with a q-tip, when no change occurred I tried a 15 minute soak followed by a q-tip. No material was removed.

Let me know your thoughts on the best treatment route!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity