Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Illyria Dyrrachium Drachm? Or tourist slug?  (Read 597 times)

Offline Falderal

• Consul
    • The Metaphor Observatory
Illyria Dyrrachium Drachm? Or tourist slug?
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »
I bought this coin recently but have several doubts. Outside of its unusual tone for silver, odd flatness for a Greek coin and soapy feel, it's a close too-cousin of one of the fakes found here on this site:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=20&pos=578

It does not seem to be a die match for the known fakes.

The outer rim looks like it was filed off then stressed, with one missed spot. The obverse and reverse have no relationship either in orientation or in location of striking force. While purportedly silver, it does not look like silver, despite being nonmagnetic and heavy. To me, it shows no clear sign of a genuinely struck coin, nor of an ancient cast.

I'm getting that it might be a lost wax cast coin, filed then stressed.

What do you guys think?

Falderal

"Coining a word leaves your mouth minty fresh!" - G.G. Falderal

marandnumiz

Re: Illyria Dyrrachium Drachm? Or tourist slug?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:32:36 am »
It looks ok. This is a low grade coin and should be quite inexpensive, so there would be little incentives for forgers. I have seen a couple of copies of Illyrian drachms, but only in high grade.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:36:01 am »
looks ok to me too.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:38:05 am »
Almost certainly genuine.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Falderal

• Consul
    • The Metaphor Observatory
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies.

Does the silver of these coins have a greyish tone similar to a modern US nickel, rather than the normal whitish colour when worn? How does my coin differ from the SW Studio coin referred to above?

I'm very much trying to learn what I can so I can face the growing onslaught of fakes. I've read all the material but I'm still struggling with this one, and have virtually no "in-hand" experience". I see that even though not economically reasonable, several similar worn-looking versions of these fakes exist, and I feel a great threat from Chinese counterfeiters, where the expertise is growing and labour is cheap. I truly love coins, and am not deterred by cheap or poor quality, yet even these are of growing uncertainly.

Any anti-fake tips pertaining to this exact series of coins?

Falderal

"Coining a word leaves your mouth minty fresh!" - G.G. Falderal

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:33:29 pm »
Hi Falderal,

As a noobie myself, I can recommend reading this forum thread, as far back as you care too, and you will learn a helluva lot about fakes...

Also post photos of coins you are unsure about, ( unless it is for personal profit!!)  and the knowledgeable gentlemen and ladies of the forum will confirm or refute your ideas, and usually point out the whys also... I have learned more from 3 months of reading this thread than I could have done in a lifetime without it..

:branchesthreeleft:  Thanks knowledgeable coin guys!!  :branchesthreeright: 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity