Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius & Agrippina Denarius OTD  (Read 295 times)

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Claudius & Agrippina Denarius OTD
« on: October 12, 2023, 12:42:47 am »
Hello all, I would like to share a coin that I have added to my gallery today. It is a nice denarius of Claudius and Agrippina which is quite scarce and desirable. The portraits are decent and the coin has very dark toning from an old collection. I felt this one was a milestone that deserved COTD status. I hope you will enjoy seeing it.

Claudius & Agrippina Denarius

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=184606

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Claudius & Agrippina Denarius OTD
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 09:33:44 am »

Congratulations ancientdave, on a obtaining a coin that is hardly ever seen outside public collections. A really nice example too. I particularly like the portrait of Agrippina, who seems rather unhappy with the world, as if she had some premonition that things were not going to end well for her.

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Re: Claudius & Agrippina Denarius OTD
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 01:45:11 pm »
Quote from: gallienus1 on October 13, 2023, 09:33:44 am

Congratulations ancientdave, on a obtaining a coin that is hardly ever seen outside public collections. A really nice example too. I particularly like the portrait of Agrippina, who seems rather unhappy with the world, as if she had some premonition that things were not going to end well for her.

Thank you for this kind and insightful comment! I love the coin, but I have sometimes wondered if it could look better with less dark toning. Not sure if it's so dark as to be less desirable. I am terrified to ever alter it, but I do wonder.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity