Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Needed with this Byzantine  (Read 812 times)

Offline cwonsidler

• Praetorian
    • My Gallery
Help Needed with this Byzantine
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:10:23 pm »
This Byzantine is 27 mm in diameter. The obverse looks like it is of a large person sitting with a crown on. There is a square split into quarters with a circle in each quarter. A vertical line extends from the top of the square with one more circle on eaither side. It looks like the big person in the middle is flanked by a small crowned head on either side near the top of the coin. There is no inscription I can see. The reverse looks like it is another person standing by himself. Just guessing I think it might be Christ. Again ther does not appear to be any inscription. I am not positive about which side is the obverse and which is the reverse. The side I described as the obverse is the first picture and the reverse the second. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Re: Help Needed with this Byzantine
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:44:45 pm »
I think it is an overstruck Follis, Gr. 996,  Attributed to Constantine X 1059-67AD...anonymous Class 2.  The rx is emperor facing wering loros (Distinctive on this coin), obv is haloed Christ....the side facing entity you are seeing is an artifact from the previous design I believe. 

My copy of the sear book puts this as sr1854 and notes it is frequently overstruck on another follis preceding it, sr1853, which is standing christ obv, two figure with cross/labarum device on 3 steps between them, rx.  Good Luck....b
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Help Needed with this Byzantine
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 05:32:25 pm »
Irish, I believe you have the correct attribution of this coin, but it is not an anonymous  coin.  The reverse of this coin (the upper image0 does have an emperor on it with an inscription, + KWN    RAIC :Greek_Lambda: EVC   O    :Greek_Delta:OVK.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity