Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Legionary denarii (Mark Antony) fake or genuine?  (Read 562 times)

Offline Diego G

• Praetorian
Legionary denarii (Mark Antony) fake or genuine?
« on: August 15, 2022, 04:12:21 pm »

Hello, I would like an opinion on this coin, weight and size are correct. Thanks

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Legionary denarii (Mark Antony) fake or genuine?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 04:38:11 pm »
Looks fine to me, but the pictures are very small

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 07:39:32 am »
Why do you suspect it is not legitimate? 

Offline Diego G

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 09:29:20 am »
The only thing would be the circle formed around the eagle, but was that due to an off-center strike? On the obverse it appears to have an "F" inscribed, is it a banker's mark?

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 06:25:25 am »

I’ve looked at hundreds, maybe thousands, of MALs in building my collection over roughly the last year so I’ll join in. Clearer photos would help, but based on these I think the coin is legit.  The reverse legend does appear higher and closer to the eagle than typical, but that kind of variation is pretty common. The wear appears normal/honest. It appears to show 3 banker’s marks, or perhaps 2 banker’s marks and a counter stamped F. The V and crescent marks are fairly commonly seen.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity