Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal Nikephoros (?)  (Read 736 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Byzantine Seal Nikephoros (?)
« on: March 29, 2020, 04:53:27 pm »
Wondering if anyone can help on this one? Got it in a lot of coins at auction.

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
Re: Byzantine Seal Nikephoros (?)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 04:03:53 am »

Hi, unfortunately I can't find the seal in my (few) references. From what I can read, the seal belongs to Nikephoros, A' spatharios, krites of the Hippodrome, Lykandos and of the...(genitive plural). Then his family name should follow.
Here my transcripttion for what it's worth:

ΚΕ ΒΟ
ΗΘΗ ΤΩ
CΩ ΔΟΥΛΩ
ΝΙΚΗΦΟΡ
Α CΠΑΘ, S
ΚΡΙΤΗ

ΕΠΙ ΤΟΥ
ΙΠΠΟΔΡΟ
Μ, ΛΙΚΑΝ
Δ, S ΤΩΝ ...
ΛΟΥΔ,(?) ΤΩ ...
A(?)...NM(?)...

Perhaps this will help you to identify the owner if you have Zacos or the right books.

Regards,
Iolkia

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 06:28:48 am »
I could read everything you read but then came to the same blackout. Lykandou seems te be correct, although it appears Likand, on your seal. That is not a common mistake, so perhaps we are missing something. It is abbreviated correctly, so I am leaning to agreeing with you. I could not think of geographical name with 'loud', except an obscure place Kephaludon, nor a family name with NM. Perhaps the family name is abbreviated, ...N.M...

He can also be a basilikos spatharios (R, not A) A puzzle!
Regards
GErt

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 07:09:49 am »

It is a puzzle indeed. But I saw in DO some seals where Lycandos is written with "I" and even with "EI".

"loud" is just an approach, I might be wrong. But Since there is a "TΩN" before,  the following word is eiher the name of a people or a toponym in plural.  I can also not think of a Name including "NM" . But after the genitive "ΤΩ" it has to be the family name. And a long one too, since there is another line in the bottom where all the letters are illigible.

I absolutely agree with you, that it could be a R and not A before the first title.

Regards,
Iolkia

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:16:37 am »
Great, if you have a parallel spelling, that pretty much solves it. And yes I agree, a plural topnym seems most likely, followed by the name. Perhaps Anemas? TW / AN(E)MA
Regards
GErt

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 11:04:31 pm »
A very late response .... but I got some feedback on this from Alexandra Wassiliou-Seibt!
The seals owner was also judge of Kaloudia (Καλούδια/ Καλουδίων in Genitive), a geographical area near to Lykandos. Open remains the family name at the end of the legend.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity