Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: More paintings in excellent condition are found in Pompeii.  (Read 135 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
More paintings in excellent condition are found in Pompeii.
« on: April 11, 2024, 08:20:50 am »

More frescos in astoundingly good condition have been uncovered by Archaeologists in Pompeii. Helen of Troy and Paris Prince of Troy are shown in one scene, while Apollo and the priestess Cassandra are depicted in another. Painted on black walls above a white mosaic floor they must have been very impressive to visitors to the house during the late first century.

See-

https://au.news.yahoo.com/pompeii-breathtaking-paintings-found-ancient-062325407.html

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2024/04/11/stunning-frescoes-revealed-at-pompeii

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: More paintings in excellent condition are found in Pompeii.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 10:51:47 am »
Thanks 🤗👍

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 02:51:22 pm »
After twenty centuries this dog (?) again has an occasion to look at us.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 07:30:08 pm »
Nice! And I think there is still only about 1/3 excavated.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 11:40:17 pm »
I think it’s more like about 1/3 of Pompeii is left to be excavated. In any event, in the article you can see that these are actually very small and delicate frescos. Most of the wall space is just black.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 06:39:44 am »
This is another house unearthed in Pompeii in the last few years. Even 10-15 years ago, there was talk of practically stopping the work, leaving the uncovered part to archaeologists equipped with technologies that have not yet been invented, and focusing only on the conservation of the previously excavated districts - meanwhile it seems that the new director of excavations, Gabriel Zuchtriegel, is moving away from this path.  I wonder if he has a detailed plan for how much land he wants to excavate in the next few years, or is he quietly excavating house by house so as not to cause too much discussion in the archaeological community?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity