Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julia Paula aureus  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Julia Paula aureus
« on: July 25, 2006, 02:24:04 am »
Where is the thread  on the stolen aureus of Julia Paula
It was indicated that it was moved to the sell section but   my browser could not follow the link...

ember

Re: Julia Paula aureus
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 04:42:58 am »
Hi,

I believe it was deleted, and the person who was at the center of the controversy is no longer a member here.

Darcy

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 04:21:42 am »
I am sorry to see the hooligan attack but seemingly missed the administrative announcement.

To be honest, I  have a regret that the thread on the stolen Julia Paula aureus
and Uranius tetradrachm were deleted. I recall the story.

Several month ago a detectorist from Middle East posted a short note, a few line in a very rudimentary English, with a pic asking for help. He has found an aureus and entrusted it to a dealer who sent it for an evaluation to Dubai. Then the dealer announced that the coin was "lost at the post". Naturally, the guy did not believe in this and asked for a help of numismatic community (in fact, the post was written by his friend with pseudo Faisal. Senior Forum members checked the posted image and confirmed the authenticity of the coin: it happened to be the second known example of Julia Paula aureus, from a listed dies, and its potential price was evaluated as 200K USD and the opinion was expressed that the sourcer should get some compensation for such a loss. Forum learned from Faisal that the poor guy was taken to a hospital after reading this amount (his dream was 5K!). A new information came a few days ago when the dealer Dubai Z. said that the coin was not lost, it was bought by him (for 40K) and sold (for 60K in cash).

This changes the legal status of the aureus it is no more a lost property but a stolen one. With such a testimony a smart lawyer in the States can try to win the case and return the coin to the owner (by the way, the ownership  can be claimed by Dubai or TUrkish or whatever government, I do not know).

Unfortunately, the Z. attack lead him to the inevitable ban from the Forum and I understand
feelings of Joe. It seems that the Z.'s story is consistent but should be deleted because of the names mentioned (my apology that I copied it without censoring).  However, it would be nice to conserve the thread even maybe with censored   Z.'s message (or just relevant extracts from it) since it could serve as a legal evidence.

Since Z. is in the center of the another controversy, the thread on the stolen Uranius
was also deleted totally. It is even more regretful since it was considered as a testimony of coin collectors solidarity. I do not think that an inappropriate post should imply removing of the whole thread of uncontestable interest.

Of course, it is not an academic subject but we are not guaranteed from thieves and in the case we shall always  rely upon the help of the community.   

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 05:54:23 pm »
I think it's a pity the threads were deleted, but it was quite right to remove Z's posts as he was ranting at great length, abusing named individuals, and his apology for the empty envelope which OUGHT to have contained the Uranius was pathetic. He made no suggestion that he was willing to compensate the two individuals who lost out through his behaviour.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity