Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3-30 featherz  (Read 2546 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
3-30 featherz
« on: March 30, 2003, 10:28:53 am »
Here's a grungy but interesting coin. A truncated foot! what fun. :)

Trajan Decius --AE21. Pisidia, Isinda. R: Truncated Human Foot left. Von Aulock, Pisidiens I, p. 97, 898ff. 08/06/2001

Several years ago when I bought this coin, I asked a few of the 'experts' on the meaning. Several theories, but mostly just guesses.

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re:3-30 featherz
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 10:33:28 am »
Maybe it was to commemorate Decius "stamping" out the Gothic invasions. ;) A very odd thing to put a coin. Perhaps it represents the votive wossnames left at temples? Hows that for a guess. 8)
                                          Lordbest. 8)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 10:36:51 am »
Yes, it could be a temple offering (that was one suggestion) or it could be related to isinda's apparently mountainous terrain (aka hiking) or to Decius foot infection or? I paid too much for this because I thought it was amusing. :P

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 10:42:27 am »
I can just imagine a commemorative column in the city "To our divine lord Trajan Decius, we hope your foot infection gets better soon. To this end we have struck a series of votive coins. Love, the people of Isinda. P.S. We would like a new ampitheatre."
                                       LordBest. 8)

derosa

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 10:44:06 pm »
The answer is obvious, italy had some foot problems going and had to take the boot off  :-X  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity