Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Ends Today 1 May!!! Support This Discussion, NumisWiki, And The Fake Coin Reports With Your Purchase!!! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Ends Today 1 May!!! If You Plan To Look Later, The Sale Will Be Over When You "Get Around To It" Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Preparation of dies for striking Roman coins  (Read 1330 times)

Mark Farrell

Preparation of dies for striking Roman coins
« on: February 20, 2007, 11:24:38 am »
All,

I'm trying to gather some background on how dies were prepared for striking Roman coins. The topic came up in another thread and it has captured my interest. I have nothing on this in my rather meager library, so I am reaching out for suggestions.

Does anyone know of articles involving discussions of this topic? Perhaps in Numismatic Chronicle or some other source?

Your assistance is much appreciated, thanks.

Mark

black-prophet

Re: Preparation of dies for striking Roman coins
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:57:25 am »
I am not sure if this is what your looking for -but this link has an introduction and page on the setting of dies(just click on 'the striking of coins') and although they are talking about Byzantine coins I believe the Romans used the same method.

http://www.doaks.org/CoinExhibition/Introduction/Frame_Introduction.html

Mark Farrell

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:56:29 am »
Thanks, it's a start.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:09:40 pm »
As for J. Babelon, he was extremely good on fabrication.  Sure, some work has been done since, but he was very thorough and very sound.  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=35624.0  Pat L.

Mark Farrell

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 05:34:28 pm »
Thanks, Pat. I'll check him out.

Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity