Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julian II fel temp  (Read 1383 times)

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
Julian II fel temp
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:55:48 pm »
I tend to build up a pile of coins to attribute after cleaning and this one has been driving me mad for a little while. I just can't find another example anywhere with an  :Greek_epsilon:in the left field. Anyway I was wondering if that actually makes any difference in attributing it or is it just a control mark.

I found on of Constantius Gallus with the epsilon in the left field but the obverse legend on mine is starts

"D.N.C.L."   and I can make out  "IVLI"   and then  "NOB.CAES"

So I don't think it's him. Anyway thanks for your help in advance and apologies for the poor photos.

I almost forgot to mention it is definitely from Thessalonika as I can read the SMTS in the ex.

black-prophet

Re: Julian II fel temp
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 06:05:57 pm »
sorry I didn't read thru your whole post-I'd say it's the officina -epsilon and it is Julian II for sure.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Julian II fel temp
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:18:56 pm »
With bare head it can be only Constantius Gallus and Julian as Caesar.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity