Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: This should stump you guys.  (Read 628 times)

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
This should stump you guys.
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:50:49 am »
Got this one today. Maybe it's Judean. I dunno. The thing is Teardrop shaped. Looks to be Copper. Not much detail showing.

Widest Point: 16.46MM
Narrowest Point: 14.39MM
Weight: 3.68 Grams

Offline Xerxes King of Kings

• Consul
  • I am kind...
Re: This should stump you guys.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:27:26 am »
BOOYA!

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=110524

Very worn Kushano-Sassanian ae drachm of some description, ruler facing left on obv, fire altar on rev

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:05:58 am »
        Well, it does APPEAR to be the right coin, but there isn't much more information on it. I dunno. The Guy had about a Zillion of these in differing condition and shapes. They didn't all have the same pictures on them though. I showed a mild interest and he threw one in with my purchase. It can't be overly valuable. Thank you for finding another example, but i would really like to find out more about this coin. Of course, I'm not expecting all of you to do all the work. I'll be researching on my own as well. Perhaps we can solve the mystery.

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:35 am »
Hormazd I Kushanshah (circa 265 - 295 AD)
AE Drachm
Cribb SI 19, #35 (Gandharan issues); Gobl Kushan 1125; Mitchiner ACW 1284v.
16 x 14 mm.
3.68 gm.
Die position=12h
Obverse: Bearded bust right wearing lion headdress. Long ribbons flow upward from hair in pleats, behind. Partial Pahlavi legend; Governor 'Meze' (?). Gandhara mint.
Reverse: Fire altar with 'Gondopharan' symbol on shaft; bust on altar.

http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/kushanshah/i_ks_g1125.jpg

Xerxes helped me immensely. It was the Kushano-Sassanian part of the description that led me to the ultimate attribution. You know, i guess i'll have to admit that I didn't try hard enough myself at the start. As time goes by, I'm seeing the methods of attribution more clearly. Roman coins in particular are getting easier. Thanks Xerxes.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity